(FOR MY FOX NEWS INTERVIEW ON THIS WITH SHEPARD SMITH, VISIT MY TV REEL PAGE)
There is a new study explaining that “waking up later makes it harder to keep a fitness routine.”
I couldn’t agree more, but there are things you can do to either turn into an Early Bird, or fit a workout into your Night Owl lifestyle.
First, some reasons why going to bed and waking up late are workout barriers:
1) People sit more if they are up late: at work, at restaurants, in front of the TV, at the theater, at a bar, at computer
2) If you wake up at 11am and plan to work out at noon, there are a lot of other distractions that happen at noon. Business meetings pop up, friends in town, a child needs you, errands to run, etc. NO ONE usually can hijack your schedule if your workout is before 8am (except for the kids sometimes, but if you have kids, you are probably an early bird by now anyway). The post office is not open at 5:30am, neither is the grocery store, your office, or your friends.
3) Night Owls may be more prone to hangovers if out till 2am, and not feel good enough to work out. Even early birds like to party, but happy hour tends to get in your way less.
4) If you don’t set an alarm you feel more on lazy, vacation mode. You should set alarm, put it in your schedule, make a meeting with yourself.
5) If you are a night owl who can work out at 9pm, there may be less fun fitness offerings, like classes, available in your area.
How to get in more workouts and turn that Night Owl schedule into Early Bird Gets the Workout
1) Get motivated, something to look forward to like a great playlist or an audiobook, that you can only listen to, and hear what happens next, when you are out jogging for example.
2) Caffein – coffee, green tea, 5 hour energy, ginseng… there are options to put more bounce in your step and therefore, more calories burned.
3) Go to bed earlier… can’t sleep at 10pm? If you had a hard workout earlier that day you COULD. Workouts make you tired which helps you sleep earlier and more sound/quality sleep
4) Prepare: sleep in your workout clothes, put keys/ headphones, or the DVD by the bed. Throw on sneakers, brush teeth and go! Save time by cutting out steps. If you want to eat first, eat and have coffee asap.
5) Get a personal trainer or workout buddy that you have to meet. Make your playdate fun and try new classes and adventures! Do DVDs/downloads if it is too cold/rainy/snowy to go outside, or for fitness when you travel (Like my Fit Travel Workout DVD).
Fitness – fit it in, early OR late! Get more tips from my book, the Slimnastics Workout, daily mantras from following @NikkiFitness on twitter, or get my DVDs (www.nikkifitness.com) so you don’t have any excuses!
Nicole Glor is the founder and president of NikkiFItness and GT Media LLC. She is a 36-year-old fitness expert, author of The Slimnastics Workout, a freelance fitness writer, and the star of 10 fitness DVDs including the new 2014 Beach Ball Body Workout, the 2013 Seasonal Affective Disorder Workout video, Hard Core Abs DVD, Fit Travel Workout DVD, Booty Camp, The Slimnastics DVD, Red Carpet Runway Workout, Military Wife Workout, Baby Bootie Camp, and the Beach Bride Destination Wedding Workout (Amazon). Nikki’s “Slimnastics” exercises have been featured in over 100 national media outlets including the New York Times, Live! With Kelly and Michael, Fox & Friends, GMA Health, Shape, Self, Fitness, and Women’s Health. Her “Improve the Move” workouts focus on multitasking toning and plyomentric cardio intervals (HIIT- High Intensity Interval Training) to cut workout time in half and boost metabolism. Nikki is an AFAA certified NYC personal (and celebrity) trainer, group fitness instructor at Crunch in Manhattan, and a 200hr RYT YogaFit/Yoga Alliance trained yoga instructor.She is also the “spokestrainer” for Huggies Little Movers and SilverSports antimicrobial fitness gear. Nikki got her start in fitness as a Syracuse University Cheerleader, where she graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism from the prestigious Newhouse School. Search for “NikkiFitness” on Facebook and Twitter, to get the free #movesoftheday and #mantrasoftheday. Her music playlists, video demos and DVDs can be found at www.nikkifitness.com