People often ask me what I would include if I created the perfect home gym. People also ask me for home gym ideas on a budget and items that save room. Recently, the Polar Vortex, and record ice and snow have caused people to either give up on their winter fitness plans, or create their own home gyms more than ever. If getting out to work out is too much when the it’s freezing, I’d advise you to freeze your excuses in their tracks and create a gym at home!
A favorite site of mine, uniquefit1.com , is a great place to do your one-stop-shopping for equipment, and Amazon.com or iTunes is the place to go for video downloads and DVDs. (My NikkiFitness line of 11 fitness videos happens to be on both!)
- Yoga Mat and mats for large equipment
- Weights (Stairmaster Twistlock Adjustable Dumbells save room!)
- Jump Rope (I love the weighted version from Skilz)
- Agility Ladder (flat or with elevated hurdles)
- Stability Ball
- Short, intense fitness videos you can do quickly with
major results that also Cross-Train (from Yoga to Weights to HIIT)
- Beginners workouts like my Anti-aging Walking Workout
- Great workout music (motivate and build intensity with a great playlist, I like this new app called FIT Radio (www.fitradio.com) that provides over 25 channels of professionally DJ’d music designed to maintain BPMs (beats per minute))
- Foam Roller from SilverSport, with extra massage bumps for muscle massage, antimicrobial and anti-cellulite!
Remember, summer bodies are made int he winter, so don’t let the cold keep you from your dreams. The time and money spent on your health will pay off in the future when you are avoiding high medical bills!
Fitness – fit it in! Nikki
NikkiFItness is a 37-year-old fitness expert, author of The Slimnastics Workout, a freelance fitness writer, and the star of 11 fitness DVDs/Videos/Apps including the new 2015 Anti-aging Walking Workout, 2014 Slimnastics Stability Ball Workout, the Seasonal Affective Disorder Workout, Hard Core Abs, Fit Travel Workout, Booty Camp, The Slimnastics Workout (Yoga+Plyometrics Fusion), Red Carpet Runway Workout, Military Wife Workout, Baby Bootie Camp, and the Beach Bride Destination Wedding Workout (Amazon). Nikki’s “Slimnastics” exercises have been featured in over 100 national media outlets including the New York Times, Live! With Kelly and Michael, Fox & Friends, GMA Health, Shape, Self, Fitness, and Women’s Health. Her “Improve the Move” workouts focus on multitasking toning and plyomentric cardio intervals (HIIT- High Intensity Interval Training) to cut workout time in half and boost metabolism. Nikki is an AFAA certified NYC personal (and celebrity) trainer, group fitness instructor at Crunch in Manhattan, and a 200hr RYT YogaFit/Yoga Alliance trained yoga instructor.She is also the “spokestrainer” for Huggies Little Movers and SilverSports antimicrobial fitness gear. Nikki got her start in fitness as a Syracuse University Cheerleader, where she graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism from the prestigious Newhouse School. Search for “NikkiFitness” on Facebook and Twitter, to get the free #movesoftheday and #mantrasoftheday. Her music playlists, video demos and DVDs can be found at www.nikkifitness.com