As far as workout advice goes, are fads and trends, and then there are tried and true trainer tips to Maximize your workout. My Exercise Essentials for 2014 are proven techniques that are here to stay. Incorporate them into your New Year’s Resolution Workouts to hit your goals.
1) Warm and roll with a foam roller for myofacial muscle release to work out knots.. It’s like a deep tissue massage to hit those trigger points. My free demo here!
2) Move in different planes. We move all over the place in our daily lives, so why should we only exercise in one direction? Don’t just bench press, move your weights and muscles in horizontal, sagital and frontal planes.
3) Pull more than push! We sit at desks, steering wheels and couches too much in modern life, and that causes our pectorals (chest) and hip flexors to be too tight while overstretching our upper backs. Incorporate pulling exercises like seated rows, reverse flies, and one arm lunging rows. I love using a resistance band as well as weights
4) Use different size weights. I mentioned moving in different planes earlier. But you can’t reach your arms that far from your core if you are only using heavy weights. Do more reps with light weights and reach far away from your body (I showed biceps examples in the segment). Then do medium reps with medium weights, and lower reps with heavy weights. You can focus on different weights on different days or do pyramids where you hit the same muscle with heavy, then medium then light reps in a row.
5) Stretch! You can’t work your cardio and toning exercises if you don’t have good range of motion and flexibility. I have a free video here with 14 essential stretches for 2014. These stretches, as well as a 15 minute soothing yoga stretch, are at the end of each of my DVDs at www.nikkifitness.com
Fitness – fit it in! Nikki